Monday, August 24, 2015

Sickness vs Work

How do you work when you just don't feel like it?

I've been sick for the past week with fever and other things and I have not felt like doing anything at all. Fortunately, I haven't had a whole lot to do which let me enjoy my sick bed. However, I got to thinking, how would you force yourself to do your work when you physically cannot be bothered to?

There are times where we all have to force our way through a project we'd rather forget about, but what helps you to do it? I have 3 recommendations for ways to focus and get the job done, even when you don't feel 100%.

1. Do a little at a time.

My grandmother always said, "Take it one day at a time," meaning don't always look at all the things that you have to do in the future, but do one project at a time. If you have to do homework for three different subjects, then don't worry about doing all three. Just do one, usually the easiest, and get it out of the way, then take a break. After you finish, rest, play a game, get something to eat, whatever. Just regain your strength. Don't wait too long to start the next subject, though, or you'll lose motivation.

2. Do the easy stuff first. 

As I said before, I prefer to start with the easy stuff, because, obviously, it's easy, but it also helps to chip away at the mountain of stuff that I have to do instead of tackling it head on. Once I get one thing done, the rest seems easier, and interestingly I get more motivated by succeeding in the small things, making the other things not so bad. This is true in any aspect of life to be honest.

3. Rest up afterwards.

It's really important to not wear yourself out. Breaks are NOT for the week, and some have said to me. Breaks are for the smart people who know what their limits of energy are and account for it. If you do not feel like going on to the next project that you are facing, don't. Come back when you have the energy and motivation to do so.

These are actions that help me focus on getting things done efficiently and not wearing me out. What ways do you use to help you? Comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment